Cliffs Foundation Donates $200,000 to Iron ORe Heritage Trail
June 19, 2013
MARQUETTE COUNTY — Cliffs Natural Resources announced Tuesday it will be making financial contributions to organizations in Marquette County totaling $252,900 from its charitable giving arm, the Cliffs Foundation.
“Cliffs has a long history of providing support to the communities where we maintain operations,” said Jennifer Huetter, Cliffs’ district manager, public affairs in Michigan. “Through the Cliffs Foundation, the Company is able to make significant contributions to organizations providing support for worthwhile community projects and programs.”
The Cliffs Foundation focuses on four primary areas of benefit to the community, including education, health and human services, cultural resources and civic-related projects.
Contributions from the Cliffs Foundation for 2013 include:
• Marquette General Health Systems Linear Accelerator $50,000
• Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library Building Improvements $5,000
• Superiorland Cross Country Ski Club Warming Hut $10,000
• Marquette Regional History Center Capital Campaign $5,000
• Ishpeming Ski Club Ski Hill Improvements $5,000
• Noquemanon Trail Network Trail Improvements $5,000
• Lake Superior Community Partnership Chairman’s Circle $5,000
• Marquette Area Skate Plaza Committee Capital Campaign $10,000
• Great Lakes Center for Youth Development Program Support $25,000
New 2013 Pledges
• Iron Ore Heritage Recreation Authority Trail Improvements $200,000 ($50,000/year over four years)
• Great Start Collaborative Marquette & Alger Program Support $20,000
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Marquette & Alger Program Support $10,000
• City of Ishpeming – Lake Bancroft Project Lake Enhancement $10,000
• Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society Light Station Project $5,000
• FinnFest USA 2013 Celebration Sponsorship $5,000
• Women’s Center/Harbor House Operating Support $25,000 ($12,500/year over two years)
• Negaunee High School – Football Scoreboard $4,400
In addition, the Foundation provides annual support for several local organizations totaling $17,000.
2013 Cliffs Foundation contributions and pledges total $252,900.
Checks from the Cliffs Foundation will be distributed over the next few months. Applications are currently being accepted for contributions in 2014. Guidelines for the Cliffs Foundation can be found at www.cliffsnaturalresources.com.